Let’s cut to the chase. Dinner was amazing and you’re going to have to try this one.
Breakfast– carrot and apple juice
Lunch– bean and barley soup
And *drumroll please*… DINNER– Rosemary and Apple Crowns with Garlic Mushrooms and Grains
I found a recipe on a stall for the vegetarian society, it was at some Christmas markets and they were persuading people to go veggie for Christmas with loads of amazing recipes. I never tried any and that was in November. I remembered this one though which I really wanted to try. I never really completely follow a recipe, so here’s my version or you can see the original here-http://www.recipes.vegsoc.org/recipe.aspx?cId=845
Ingredients for mash
Potatoes- diced and boiled
2 apples, diced (I couldn’t find cooking apples anywhere!)
2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp vegan margarine
1. Boil potatoes
2. Add a splash of hot water to a pan, and add the apples. Keep adding water when it dries up until apples are tender
3. Drain and mash potatoes. Add all other ingredients and mash until smooth.
4. Ideally use individual serving dishes. Also ideally add mash to a piping bag without it splitting. If yours breaks like mine so usefully did, then use a spoon to make crowns (balls of mash) and line the dish. Try your hardest not to eat most of the mash as you go along because it is DELICIOUS. Oh my god mmmm.
5. Put crowns in the oven for 10-15 mins until golden.
1/2 white onion
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Mixed mushrooms roughly chopped chunky (I used oyster mushrooms and white mushrooms)
1/2 pack mixed grains
1. Fry onion in a little oil and margarine
2. Add garlic for 1 minute or until aromas are strong
3. Add mushrooms, and cook until tender, adding more margarine as desired (I used loads).
4. Add grains and allow to soak up the margarine in the pan.
5. Spoon mixture into middle of crowns, and garnish with chives.
Serve this beautifully delicious meal and enjoy! A great winter warmer.